Friday, November 21, 2008

Happy Holidays

As some of you may know, my mom and I had a very interesting conversation the other day - okay, it was more of an argument. It started because she feels like she needs to pull information from me, then I was frustrated that she doesn't really like my job choice, which quickly got to the heart of the matter - her being upset/not understanding why I want to leave the house, and thinking that I don't care about spending time with the family, and it just spiraled from there. It's a very touchy topic in many families. Specifically, my mom was concerned about holidays. If I get this job at Mooseheart, http://www.mooseheart.org/Employment.asp , I would be living with children who might not have families to go home to for the holidays - thus, I'd be working. Now I'm sure that holidays are on a rotating basis and split up amongst the 3 adults in the house but there would still be holidays I would "miss" with the family. This greatly concerns my mother, but what made her cry was that I don't care.
Now, before you think that I'm a horrible person hear me out. For one, I would find it much more rewarding to spend a holiday with people who don't even have a family to go home to - and to provide some sense of family for them. For two, I don't feel like my family really celebrates holidays. And this is where my wheels started turning earlier this week.

As a Christian it is easy to say that the purpose of Christmas is to celebrate the life of Christ - but it doesn't seem that easy to do. What does it mean to celebrate someone's life? TO me, to remember someone's life means to do something that they would have done. At funerals people tell stories about the person who has passed, and each funeral is different; to match the personality of the one who has gone. Isn't that how we should celebrate a person's life?
Now, I know that December 25th is not the actual day of Jesus' birthday - but that is the day it has been chosen to be celebrated. What would it look like if we celebrated Jesus' birthday in the same way we celebrated our birthday? Most birthdays have people, food, and presents. We can't physically have Jesus show up to his birthday party, but we His Spirit is always with us. Then we can invite Jesus' friends - well luck for us, everyone was a friend of Jesus, he would have invited anyone he knew to His celebration. I'm pretty certain that The 12 disciples would have been there, some tax collectors, prostitutes, widows, orphans, and maybe some religious leaders (because Jesus wanted us to be kind to our enemies). So the people is taken care of - anyone and everyone.
What about the food? There would have been a feast!! And it all would have been in his honor, and he would use his best china. There is just something about going to someone's house for food and using nice dishes and silverware, as a guest it can make you feel more welcome. I'm sure there would have been wine - but I don't think Jesus would have been playing "wine pong" or chugin' a few back with his guests. And I'm sure there would have been stories of the awesome things he'd done, and the plans he had for the future.
And the presents? What do you give to someone who has everything - I mean literally, this is the guy who's Father created the universe - pretty hard to top that gift. And my mind went to Isaiah 1: 11 - 13 "The multitude of your sacrifices - what are they to me?' says the Lord. 'I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs an goats. ... Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me.'"
So, don't bring Jesus burnt offerings on his birthday! haha! Though this verse was before Jesus' ministry on earth, I believe it is still applicable. In Isaiah the Lord was tired of people sacrificing for the sake of sacrificing - He wanted to see their true character, to see lives changed. That's the best give you could give to Jesus - not to give just to give. But to do something in His namesake and for His Kingdom. He doesn't need a hat, a new stereo, a wine holder (well maybe that) but point being that at a celebration for Jesus, I don't think he would have accepted a tangible gift.
I'm having a hard time finding all the right words today but as I thought about this over the week it began to alter how I view Christmas vs how my family views Christmas. I think that if we really want to celebrate our Savior's birth we will do something for those who are less fortunate, extend our arms and go out of our comfort zone.

Maybe instead of someone who already has enough even more - we can give something to someone who doesn't have enough. Of course we want to give things to those we love, I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as it is out of love. Countless times in the gospels we are reminded to take care of the widows, the orphans, and those less fortunate than ourselves - what better time to do that than the day we celebrate our savior's birth?


PS Random lil tid bit - website on the history of Christmas http://www.history.com/minisite.do?content_type=Minisite_Generic&content_type_id=1252&display_order=1&mini_id=1290

No comments: